Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Happy Birthday, Baby!

At 5:30am I awoke to the sounds of my son yelling, 'Happy Birthday, Nick-Nick!'

Yes, he referred to himself in the third person, but for the last week at school they have been prepping his class to say 'Happy Birthday, Nick-Nick' on this very special day!  And he couldn't be more excited!  He is so proud of the fact that he knows he is 2 (and will tell you so!), he is beyond excited for his 'pah-tae' (like potty, with an 'A' sound at the end) at school, and he knows how to sing 'Happy Birthday' to himself!  A shiny birthday helium balloon was the source of endless entertainment this morning- thank you, Dollar Store!- and our big plans for tonight include pizza and ice cream cake!  Yes, there will be a few presents, but his excitement this morning had nothing to do with gifts, or wrapping paper, or money.  It was the pure joy of a now 2 year old boy because today is special- it's HIS day!

And today is a big day for Alex and me, too.  Actually, it's a big day for anyone who knows and loves our son and was around for or knows about his rough start 2 years ago.  There were multiple occasions in that first month of life that we didn't know if we would make it to 2 months, let alone 2 years!  But here we are...with an energetic, wild man of a toddler singing himself 'Happy Birthday' and asking what time his party is!

Our son is a miracle, a survivor, and a gift...the best gift Alex and I could've hoped for!  And soon he will have another title- Big Brother.  And while I'm not sure he will initially think that's such a good gift, and will probably ask us to take it back, I'm sure over time he will rise to the challenge- as he's risen to every challenge so far.  He already knows he's having a sister, he knows her name, where her room is, and will 'give baby kisses'- planting them on my belly!  But on some days he's had enough of this baby talk and will lift up my shirt and say 'bye bye baby' or 'put it away now'.  I don't think he understands that baby will actually come out at some point and come home to live with us...but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it!

Today is a day for celebrating!  It's Nick's day!  Celebrating the past 2 years of accomplishments, joy, and yes, even the tears!  It's a day for looking back but also looking forward- forward to many more years of love, laughter, and happiness!  I can't put into words what a wild ride these 2 years have been and I can't begin to describe how much I love my son!  So rather than try, I'll just use his words-

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, NICK-NICK!!

No comments:

Post a Comment